Thursday, July 27, 2006

From The Top

My sister has a gig on Saturday night. Two of her much spoken of musician friends came over to the apartment to rehearse last night and they sounded wonderful. It felt so artsy and urgent. Just having all that creative energy compressed into that space made me want to do something important--write, think, have an engrossing conversation.

I am aware of my sister's talents and gifts--I know that her singing voice is evolving, developing, and becoming more textured and nuanced as she gets older--but last night I was impressed, again, by the arresting quality of her passion for music.

I lay in my room while they jammed in the "office" and I felt so blessed to be in the same space with them. I tried to read a little poetry criticism, ate some cookies, probably dozed for a bit, surrounded by the blues...

No comments: