Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Schematic, The Second...

You all know I love a good scheme. Especially a closeout scheme. So this morning while eating my Cheerios® out of a French Blue bowl and drinking my hazelnut coffee (8 O'Clock coffee) out of a glazed red mug, I am hatching a plan.

I'm thinking through what I'd like to accomplish before I leave this post--I'm cataloguing my responsibilities, trying to remember things I've done here, as a matter of course, for the last three years that I don't even think about as tasks, per se, and I'm going to construct a Modus Operandi for dealing with it all.

But this document will be for my purposes only. It's not a contract or a promise to the Powers That Be that x, y , and z will get done. It's something that I will present at the last minute (not the document, but a summation of what I've taken care of)--a report on the good faith effort I've made to do right by my job until the last possible second.

I've already started taking some of my things home. My good-sized cubicle is like a tiny apartment. It's by no means cluttered, but I still have a good bit of stuff. Most of the heavy pieces (like the coffeemaker and some books) I've already gotten out. At the same time, I'm trying to pace the process. I want it to feel homey right up until the last few days. Also, I've only told two coworkers (one out of necessity, one out of friendship) about my coming departure, and I don't want to raise suspicion until my manager makes the announcement. I figure that it should be left to her discretion when that information should be distributed. Well... within reason, I'm leaving it to her discretion. If it doesn't get announced at today's team meeting, I'll start making the rounds informally. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I'm also not going to leave my coworkers whom I respect in the dark for an unduly long time.

Dinner, Last Night...

I managed to make myself some miniature crab cakes, red skinned potato salad with scallions and spices, including Old Bay (to create resonance with the crab cakes) and corn bread with cheese and scallions baked into the batter. I substitued spicy chicken breasts for my sister's portion of the meal. She's deathly allergic to seafood of any kind. It was a Monday night feast, if I do say so myself.

No comments: