Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I had two major things yesterday--a conversation with the new manager at work, who as long as I'm there, has a significant influence on my feelings about the office--and the poetry reading.

The "conversation" was a planned meeting, one in which she and I got acquainted, talked about my perceptions of the dept., etc (there were such one-offs with everyone on the team). It was during this meeting that I also stated, explicitly, that I believe I deserve more money for the work I'm doing. It went very well. No decisions have been made at this point, but regardless of the outcome, I am so glad that I professionally and respectfully made a statement to her about what I belive my efforts are worth.

The reading was a very managable affair. C, from poetry group, and I pulled off a pretty engaging round robin (is it a round robin if there are only two of you?) of reading. I felt solid and sure, and I think the work came across well. Hearing C read her pieces, many of which I knew well, in that context was so rewarding.

Readings are so crucial for poets; it gives a sense of accomplishment... at least it does for me. Finally, something comes of the solitary writing act! There's a sense of validation in putting the words out there, knowing that people heard them. In an odd way, it's like I was hearing those words for the first time. They didn't fall flat. I may just have something going here.

No comments: