Saturday, June 17, 2006

There was a lot of back and forth about this weekend--my plans and what would I be doing.This is the one weekend for the next several that I knew my sister and I could spend time together. Between the two of us, we have more conflicting plans than a few, and even though we live together during the week, it's not the same. Monday morning through Friday afternoon is taken up with the emotional energy of going to work.

So we decided to see The Lake House together on Friday, June 16th. Then our mom asked C to come home for the weekend on this past Tuesday afternoon. She has been ill, and though she is now taking medicine and her condition is improving, she just really wanted company. The request wasn't entirely without legitimacy, but I'm glad things played out such that my sister and I got to do what we wanted instead.

The theatre goers last night were of the vexing variety. a lot of talking during the previews, which is never a good sign. It took several minutes into the movie before we reached an acceptable level of quiet.

As for the film itself, I'm glad I saw it. I really am. I think it had a few pacing problems, but I also understood that some of the more lengthy scenes were done this way intentionally. But pacing aside, I loved seeing Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock sharing the same screen space again (as I mentioned I would a week ago)--and I loved the tenderness of their performances, the kisses... I'm a sucker for that moment when the two would-be lovers finally get to kiss. It's nice to know that my overarching pragmatism hasn't sucked every romantic inclination from me.

I feel like I always have to be on guard against the silliness of yearning, the wan pathos of it, so it was actually a relief to be able to direct a focused desire for two other people--characters in a film--to really have what they want.

My desires these days are to be able to make and keep plans I want to have, to have enough food in the pantry, to make more money than I currently do, to perfect my thesis, and gear up to start PH. D. course work. I want things like cheap, utilitarian shelves and tables. This is the place I am in and I am trying, really trying to take this stage of my life at face value--not worry about what it implies about the trajectory of my future.

No comments: