Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Back to Your Corners!

I broke up a fight between school kids on the MTA this morning. Occasionally, if a child is out of line and I feel that, as an adult on the bus, I am within my jurisdiction to correct the behavior, then I do.

A little instigator (of which there are potentially many) boarded this morning and almost immediately provoked another kid in the back. Some verbal sparring ensued, and the next thing I knew, they were clinging to each other in that full-body contact way that boys tend to fight. Before I had time to think about what I was doing, I was up and making my way to them, commanding them to stop. I told the one I had seen as the pot-stirrer to move away from the other kid and indicated a seat that I wanted him to occupy instead of the one he'd chosen (still too close to the other child for my comfort).

He was dumbstruck. His main concern was whether or not he knew me (thereby calling into question by what rights I was correcting him).

"Who are you?"
"I'm the adult on this bus, that's who I am. Now, you come and sit in this seat."
"Do I know you?"
"No, you don't know me, but I know who you are. You're the troublemaker on this bus, now do what I say."

He didn't immediately comply so I walked to the front of the bus to report him to the driver as I told him I would.

And while all this was going on, I heard kids asking "Is that Lady crazy or something?"

I believe in picking my battles. As I said, I occasionally speak to a child that I think is out of line, but I'm no fool. If these kids had been older, harder, or the situation more serious at the outset, I would have done something different. I know when I'm out of my depth. I also know when a child or group of kids simply needs an adult to step in and say enough is enough.

I'm pretty no-nonsense. I mind my business, but I don't tolerate foolishness. Honestly, I was reminded of my grandmother in that instance.

No comments: