Monday, June 12, 2006

I've been on a quest lately to do at least one interesting/daring thing a day (or a week, at least). Something outside the realm of what makes me comfortable. These are small things usually. Like maybe saying yes to an invitation I would normally refuse; applying for a job the thought of which both scares and invigorates me--anything, really, that says "hey, I'm here. I want to be marked present," metaphorically speaking.

The fiction workshop is one example, applying for the ghost writing position (that ultimately fell through), continuing to submit draft articles for other freelance posts, and even following an instinct to put myself forth as a potential reader at a local spot, are a handful of examples.
Sometimes this pays off by way of a specific result--like finding out today that I got said reading spot at said local place, but mostly it's just about the experience.

It is so freeing to "cast my bread upon the waters" without being tied to a specific outcome. I think that is the most precious lesson I've learned over the course of the last six years--that I can just try and if things don't pan out specifically as I hoped, I can shrug it off and move on to the next thing. There is so much freedom, so much power in that.

No comments: