Monday, October 06, 2003

I Hear You

I didn't get the chance to write about this before I left town for a church retreat (this past weekend) because I was in the throes of laundry, packing, and making and keeping a hair appointment for my much ignored tresses, but last week I received three pleas from three different friends to remember the reason I am alive.

Catchka, who always faithfully challenges me, gave me the assignment of going to the library, checking out the most recent copy of the Poet's Market, and to start submitting my work to appropriate journals. Gordon, who is generally only verbally encouraging, took the initiative to write me an e-mail in which he implored me not to forget my poetry and other writing in the midst of the busyness of my job, because "what [I] have to say is beautiful," and the lovely and intellectually astonishing Devika sent me a postal letter in which she strongly encouraged me not to keep my writing private--calling it a disservice to the literary world if my poems continued to be unavailed to the public.

The topic of this year's Women's Fall Retreat was finding, knowing, and implementing your life's purpose. The notion that God has created me for a purpose beyond my mere 9 to 5, beyond even the coveted roles of wife and mother, that is so specific and unique to me, my inclinations, and my gifts was heartening.

I believe the Lord speaks in myriad ways--through the words of trusted friends is certainly one of those means He uses to reach us. So, to honour these messages, I plan to enroll in grad school for writing next Fall. Keep me in your prayers.

No comments: