Wednesday, October 01, 2003

He didn't go

to New York. When the time came, he wasn't feeling well. I asked him if he rescheduled. Apparently, not for anytime soon.

I have actually been at my threshold today where he's concerned. It has been the better part of two weeks since I've seen him, talked to him, and even longer since we've e-mailed. I've been wondering about him the whole time, how the trip to New York went, but I also felt (until today) a general sense of "all is well," and so wasn't worried. I felt very connected to him in spite of the lack of contact.

Today, though, I started to cave. I wanted to establish contact with him so badly, but I also knew in my heart that I needed to let him establish contact with me. I have tried unsuccessfully to do this in the past. This time it was even more important that I wait. A few hours ago, I was ready to write him. I was willing to settle for the hollow victory of hearing from him as a result of my own effort.

I didn't. Sarah didn't let me (what a friend's for). About 20 minutes after the talk in which she reminded me that I have been wanting him to take more initiative, he called. He's been busy with work which is why he didn't call me a couple of days ago. He wanted to catch up.

He alluded to future opportunities to get together (a drink to celebrate selling a painting to the person I recommended to him, me seeing his place, finally, and getting my own painting from among his collection, etc.), and he told me to call him or e-mail him when I get back from my weekend away.

I just hope it gets easier to let him take the lead.

No comments: