Friday, June 06, 2003

A Tendency Toward Hunkering

Of all the small bits of information Gordon and I learned about each other last night, the piece that pleased me most is that we sleep the same way. Ever since I was a child I have loved to burrow deeply in my covers or in corners or in crevices. I loved creating the illusion of not really being there, or of being shrouded, and thereby blocking out (others, from light, etc.) everything that is not me.

Gordon explained his very detailed method of creating warmth inside the covers by completely covering himself, but leaving a tiny space for air at the top corner or his sheets, or if it's warmer weather, how he only leaves himself a little hole (covers wrapped around him) to breathe through. I think it may be more of a practical thing for him, less pathological, but the end result is the same.

I felt like an idiot, but I kept yelling "I sleep just like that!" "That's what I do exactly!"

I can't wait to hunker down together. I never thought of what it would be like to have another body in that space, hiding from everybody but him.

No comments: