Friday, June 06, 2003

One Good Thing Leads to Another...

I had a great time with Gordon and Sarah last night. He came over about an hour later than we were expecting him (he did call), and I was trying really hard to be peeved, but when I opened the door and saw his face smiling at me, his arms alreadying opening to hold me, I couldn't sustain even the fake anger I'd been working on for the previous 40 minutes.

The backdrop was Chopin's Nocturnes, which Sarah suggested, remembering on some level that I shared with her how much Gordon loves those. At one point we were talking, and he politely shushed us while his favourite moment in one of the pieces swelled through the dining area. He told us that he used to listen to this particular nocturne when he was staying with his parents--in the morning--while the mist rose off the grass in the field behind their house--and cry. I couldn't help myself. I said to him that is so sweet.

He wouldn't let me take his plate when he was done eating; he wanted to clear it himself. He refreshed Sarah's drink, got her more ice, so obviously at home with me and my friend. I got up and made us coffee without asking. I knew (and it was a safe bet anyway) that he was about due for some. Fortunately for him, he takes his black. We were out of half and half, so I had to make due with 1% milk, which I complained about (because anything less than whole milk turns coffee grey, not that beautiful creamy tan colour I love). He tried to console me by saying it didn't look so grey...

At one point when we were actually eating our pizza I'd gotten an herb on my lip, and Sarah tried to point out to me how to remove it, but I was proving to be quite daft, and needed to actually get up and look in the mirror to see exactly what they were both talking about. And he said something small, but that reached me... He said it was as small as one of my freckles....

The evening continued with us looking out on the midnight blue sky with swirls of white clouds, police cars and idiots whizzing below on Calvert street. We sat together on the couch and 'Bina took photos of us, one in which I playfully toussled his hair. At one point Sarah's mom called and she disappeared for the rest of the night, so we just continued sitting close enough to kiss, but not...

As it turns out I am going with him to a show at the National Gallery in Washington, DC tomorrow, after we check out the yard sale my apartment building is having. He told me he was going to this show yesterday when I first let him know about the flea market (he's very into going to those now), but I assumed he was happy to go alone, and even if he offered me an invitation, I knew I didn't have any money... I also didn't want to fall into the trap of expecting him to invite me to everything he does, or is part of...

He invited both Sarah and me. She declined, but since the show is free, I did not. Another friend of his, a guy, may also be coming... but somehow he doesn't think that will happen. Neither do I. This is our time now to explore each other, and hopefully to fall in love.

No comments: