Monday, June 02, 2003

I went outside to pray by the water, as is my custom these days, at about 3 o'clock. There was a man sitting a few benches down from me who was also praying, I knew in my heart by the reverent, still way he was sitting, so focused.

I tend to like to talk out loud to God, even outside the privacy of my own home. If no one is around, or at a great distance, I do--but the waterfront was crowded today, so our conversation was mostly unspoken-- but a few times I whispered to Him the things that are in my heart. These moments anchor me, as do my morning meditations on scripture.

I have been trying to temper telling God what I desire with practicing the simple joy of being in His presence. Open heart, not just an open hand. I can't make demands. This is part of the openness I'm learning to practice in my relationships, too.

I have always been a big believer in advancing the plot of my life. I want things to happen. I want decisions to be made. But I don't know how to sit still, just hanging out there, eliptical-like, trusting something to come.

I never learned, before now, to just be in a moment.

This is how epiphanies arrive, how kisses are dragged from a soul, how you hear the answer to the question you forgot you asked.

No comments: