Monday, May 11, 2009

Green Tea Interview

As most of you could probably guess, there's one thing (in addition to requisite extra copies of my resume) I make sure to have with me on any job interview. Coffee--in designer travel mug or to go cup--is my prop of choice. It serves a practical purpose as well as an aesthetic one. It's comfort and wakefulness in one beverage. It also gives me something to hold, thoughtfully, as I answer questions with aplomb and intellectual dexterity. it's a taste thing, too. It soothes and perplexes me.

For reasons I'll explain at a later time, I'm doing a coffee hiatus for a little while, so this morning's routine was absent the slow, steady chug of of the drip machine and the warm, full scent of hazelnut and java bean comingling to create instant happiness. This morning, there was the kettle and Lipton green tea bag.

I know that tea lovers wax poetic about the ritual of tea-making, and I am acquainted with those as well. I'm no hater. I firmly assert that tea has its place in the lexicon of hot beverages that I love and for which I am grateful, but it's no secret that my primary loyalty is to the coffee bean.
So, because I didn't have time to steep loose, pressed leaves, I had no romance on that front, either.

The point is that I sipped from a tumbler of unsweetened, categorically healthful antioxidants while I waited in the lobby of the building where I hope to work in the near future. I'm optimistic. I'm hopeful.

No comments: