Thursday, March 05, 2009

starting again

I have joined the growing number of Americans who have lost their jobs due to some come combination of economic downturn and industry crises. i cannot say that it's a surprise that this issue has touched my life--why shouldn't it? why should I be exempt?

So, in lieu of something permanent, I'm going to try to embrace the world of the cobbled together income, for the foreseeable future. I signed up for a free trial with a freelance writers association, I've posted an ad on Craigslist, and I'm posting here. I'm a Writer/Editor for Hire. Tell all your friends.

There's also the possibility of a six-month gig that a recruiter turned me on to. And it would be nice to get that gig as I am not exactly holding any winning cards at the moment, but I am going to learn to think of myself as a grad student first and foremost, and I'm going to make any work I do for the next couple of years serve that priority.

I've always wanted to be one of those people who determines her own schedule, is free to meet people for breakfast on a weekday morning, and who ambles through museums on Tuesday afternoons for inspiration. I'm not there yet, but I'll work toward that accessible dream.

As my old, almost lover would say: What a gift. How awesome.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow, Kate. This is big news. I'm excited and encouraged, though, both by the big opportunities, and by how much you've done in such a short time. A year ago, I was praying to get laid off - and ended up being one of a handful of people who wasn't! So, you have my answered prayer ;-). Looking forward to seeing what's next for you!