Monday, March 09, 2009

Progress?

Filing for unemployment was a breeze. On Friday, Sarah and I headed to Blacksburg, Virginia to visit a long-time friend of Sarah's. The intention was to have a low key, cheap weekend somewhere other than home. Upon our late-afternoon arrival I saw the voicemail indicator on my phone.

I did not get the temp job because I have never edited marketing material; apparently, it is crucial to have done so in order to be interviewed for the position, so that put me squarely out of options. I had my laptop with me, so I bit the bullet. I don't mean to imply that I considered filing to be beneath me or anything like that; I just didn't want to start the process if there was any chance I would be starting work this month.

Because you have to apply for at least two positions per week and are encouraged to do so immediately, I submitted an application for a job that same night. Tonight, I applied for at least three others. Tomorrow, I'll work on a few others that require samples or mail-in submissions.

In other news, I am going to quit the gym I joined in late january and downgrade the cable (keeping the Internet and going to basic cable so we can at least watch network television, which means we likely won't watch tv at all anymore).

I'm also going to call the financial aid office at my school to inform them of the change in my work status so that my fall/spring aid can be calculated differently. I also want to let them know so that I can potentially get more aid for the summer. Depending on what's available, there may be some reprieve in the option of looking for work, but going to school full-time this summer.

the goal right now is to not have to move out of my apartment, which is conveniently located near my sister's job, my school, and is really the most ideal location for me given that I don't have a car.

No comments: