Friday, March 20, 2009

agencies

it's friday morning at the baltimore chronicles and i'm trying to keep the bitterness at bay.

a phone interview with the department of unemployment yesterday left me reeling and confused. because i indicated that i am unwilling to drop my master's program for the sake of full-time employment--with the qualifier that i worked full time up until two weeks ago with my current schedule. i also stressed that after the beginning of May the schedule won't be an issue again until the fall. Summer financial aid is not possible, so I'm free from like May 7 until the end of August to work full-time to their heart's content.

I'll likely be denied, though I hope not, because of a bureaucratic refusal to embrace nuance in interrogation. I can appeal, but I am absolutely frustrated that I have to prove my willingness to work when I've never NOT worked (from right out of college until two weeks ago), and I've paid into this sham of a system for 14 years.

to quote a loony bird of a former colleague: I feel like I'm trapped in something written by Kafka.

I'm starting to feel desperate. Nothing I'm doing is working. I know this is the world we live in now, but I have to figure something out soon.

on other fronts, I am seeing dear V for coffee and such at Marie Louise, the new(ish) French Bistro.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

MAN that sucks! The DLLR (and I've had issues with them too) is as bad as the MTA when it comes to Kafka-esque absurdity. Hang in there sweetie, you know I am here if you need to talk.