Friday, October 26, 2007

Know when to give up; don't stay too long at the fair

[now with spelling errors and typos corrected :)]

Because some idiocy deserves to be called out, I'll tell you the following:

Case Study #1

Remember the guy I mentioned who wrote to me a week or so ago? The one whose overture I took as a confirmation that I should indeed be putting myself back in the dating circuit? You might also recall, then, that I said that either he'd written to me before and I didn't respond (b/c I wasn't interested), or I simply remembered his profile (and wasn't interested).

This person wrote to me again last night. This time his note was antagonistic. He wondered if I was too booshey [sic] to answer him. He went on to conjecture that if he'd mentioned having a lexus and a lot of "bling," I might have responsded to him. "LOL."

Case Study #2

During my first online dating stint last spring there was a man with whom I exchanged a few e-mails--mostly because he asked me lots of questions and filled his notes with all sorts of trilly compliments that it would have been awkward to leave unacknowledged. I wasn't interested in this person and he never asked me out (I was grateful for that--because of the aforementioned lack of interest). Well, he also wrote to me again last night. I've been inactive on this site since April! My profile has only been searchable [again] for a few days (though I don't currently subscribe, so I can't really respond to anyone, except in the most limited capacity)!

I didn't even read his message. The truncated version that I could see without clicking on it:

"You BEAM with intelligence!"

I have been hesitant to get hooked back up with this site just because it's a little demoralizing to be seen fishing the same river twice. Many of the men from my last go-round are still there. Maybe I won't subscribe. Maybe I'll try my luck in another venue. Not EHarmony, though. I can tell you that much. I'm not into their system (or their commercials which oh so subtly imply that "compatibility" always means dating someone of the exact same race).

No comments: