Monday, October 08, 2007

The Grown Up Thing

I overspent on Saturday. I probably shouldn't have bought anything "fun" during a rent pay cycle, but there were purchases from two stores in particular that were truly unnecessary--so much so that I couldn't even enjoy them once I got them home. After stressing over the prospect of coming up short, I made a decision. I called up my good friend E and asked if she would convey me to the suburbs to return the items.

I was dreading being asked by the cashiers the reason for the returns, and to mitigate embarrassment I thought of a couple of solid, reasonable excuses to use at the moment of qeustioning. I realized though, that part of growing up is telling the truth to others and to yourself.

So, when the question came (twice, once in each store), I said "I shouldn't have bought these things to begin with. I actually can't afford them."

2 comments:

sarah said...

all good things shall be added unto you, my dear....

Brenda said...

I've had to do the same before. Some days it sucks to grow up.