Tuesday, December 05, 2006

well, my thesis was accepted... with minor revisions. but the kicker is that they accepted the first draft. somehow the reviewer for poetry (not the person to whom I turned in my thesis and therein may be the problem) didn't get my final draft with new title, sans essay, and with extensive revisions. to say that i have problems with the fact that i was the last person in my class to find out my standing, and that i found it out in class (my thesis was handed back to me with comments) when everyone else got their results by mail, would be putting it mildly. i should not have had to process this information in a public setting--how much more horrifying to realize that i was looking at the old title page, the old table of contents, the essay, long since kabbashed, for goodness' sake... I tried for about three minutes to make it through the last class (this class, in case i haven't emphasized this enough, is something i had to attend in addition to my meetings with my advisor where the real work of my thesis was done), but i couldn't do it. i knew if i stayed i was seriously going to lose it, and just like with a child throwing a temper tantrum or who is unwell, there is only one thing to do--remove myself from the situation. i needed to get home and get on the phone and launch an e-mail campaign.

so i've submitted, via e-mail, the correct version to the coordinator. and i cc'd the poetry reviewer and my advisor. in short, i think i'm getting a master's degree. i still don't know, because now the correct draft of my thesis has to be reviewed. i am significantly less riled than i was last night, but i'm still at the point where i can't see how this has done anything but ruin the end of my master's career.

No comments: