Sunday, December 10, 2006

I've been planning a post topic, on some level, for months now...

This is not that post.

Yesterday my good friend Devika Keral made the train trek from Washington, DC to Baltimore to lunch with me and Sarah. She had planned to come to the thesis reading, but even after I made the decision to skip it, she decided to still make the trip. I am so glad she did. It is always soul-enriching to see Devika and yesterday was no exception.

She got to see my apartment for the first time. We hung out talking for about an hour, nursing glasses of my special egg nogg cocktail, before the Sarah One came to spirit us away to sushi in the suburbs. I have never had the pleasure of hanging out with them both together for any extended period of time, so that was also a real treat.

I didn't feel conflicted or regretful at all about not being at the reading. I wondered if I would, but it was just a superior way to spend the afternoon. I believe in doing what is organic, what brings you pleasure, with the people you love. And I love both of these women and I know they love me. It couldn't have been better.

After parting ways with Devika at Penn station, Sarah and I pushed on to her apartment for our standing Saturday night sleepover. We hung out for a few hours, tried to watch Woody Allen's "Scoop," but couldn't get into it, so shut it off. At about 9:30 we decided to go to Kinko's so I could get the tapebound/acid-free copies of my thesis that the University requires (I'll deliver them sometime this coming week). That process was delightfully simple (once we got to the store in White Marsh--the Timonium outfit's tape binding machine was broke and they had never heard of acid-free paper, which did nothing to inspire confidence in me...).

What a great weekend.

No comments: