Sunday, December 03, 2006

Some things happen and you know, intuitively, that they foreshadow something else (or you hope they do--in any case, they seem large with suggestion). For whatever reason, you are able to tap into the dramatic arc of your life and know This is important. Remember it for later. I could not stop thinking about a particular someone this afternoon. He occupied my thoughts for the entire 5-stop light rail ride I took from Mt. Washington to the Cultural Center, where I disembarked to go home. Right at the corner of Charles & Preston, I saw him. He was within calling out range, so I did. My voice has never had much power, even when I yell or scream, but he heard me and stopped.

The exchange wasn't long and the only remarkable thing about it, other than the unexpectedness of seeing him at all, is that in the course of about 30 seconds, he touched me twice. We were both on our way to our respective homes--and I was already somewhat late to meet my mother and her friend for dinner (today is my mom's birthday), so there was no belabouring of the moment.

It was kind of nothing, but you wouldn't know that by the stupid grin I sported all the way to my apartment. It was like I conjured him up and placed him squarely on the page of my day, right near the end of a chapter.

No comments: