Wednesday, December 27, 2006


Crystal's Christmas

As many of you know, the decision to have Christmas at my place was last-minute, and not my own. Because I had not planned to play hostess, I did not budget to purchase a suitable spread of food to feed about five people and a dog, in addition to the presents I bought. Enter my sister Crystal stage left.

She and Caryl (and Babygirl) arrived on Sunday evening with a carload of presents and groceries (her boyfriend followed a few hours later). She thought of everything--breadcrumbs, butter, marshmallows, aluminum baking pans, fresh kale and collard greens--all that you need for a soul food meal (her favourite).

My suggestion had been that we should buy a few boxes of pizza, a bag 'o salad, and some wine and have a very simple, kind of atraditional holiday. My mother was appalled. My sister rallied. Between the two of them, all of the usual carb-laden suspects were present on the table. It was wonderfully surprising to be there, but to not really be responsible for making most of it happen. Sure, I helped cook, did some prep work, but really this was my sister's show. She made this holiday what it was--with her time, her own planning, effort, and resources. And yes, it was a little chaotic, and there were lots of dishes to wash (several rounds over a period of 24 hours), but I'll tell you. That's the kind of hubub you want--a full house, laughter, and a content dog.

Once my mom and her friend arrived (at about 2:30) it was obviously time to open presents (Caryl had been antsy all day and wanted that to happen ASAP). What a blur of wrapping paper, ribbons, bows, and outer packaging! The dog just ran around the table in excitement the whole time. I no more knew what was happening than she did, I think.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it came together, though by no means surprised by Crystal's generosity or efficiency. She is one of the most industrious people I know, and I got to see her in action. I know it's part of her personality, but it still really impressed me.

No comments: