Sunday, February 20, 2005

Pulling A Rabbit out of a Hat

After a non-productive day yesterday (well if you count laundry, it was quasi-productive), I did manage to write the short paper that is due on Wednesday, today. I chose to write on one of Alice Munro's short stories that is called "Differently."
This makes me feel especially accomplished since I only finished reading the story this morning.

I nearly didn't go to a social gathering with friends last night because I had made zero progress with said paper, but Sarah's convincing argument that I should come won out. I went with her and Michael to the apartment of one of my coworkers. We drank Sangria, ate appetizers, and played Taboo. Of course there was a liberal dish of work-related gossip and intrigue. Specifics not being proffered, I can tell you this: A few key people want to quit. Last summer I joked that so many people were leaving with no advance warning that it was like the Underground Railroad at that place. Welcome to the second wave of the mass exodus. Because I made the decision to take tomorrow off work, I am going to miss another crucial meeting. Who knows what on earth the scene will be when I re-enter on Tuesday morning.

Doing something I never do, I called up Devika yesterday afternoon to chat about various and sundry things, but mostly I just wanted to hear her voice. Curiously, last night I dreamt that I was on the phone with her again, this time discussing real estate options (this was a major topic of conversation at last night's gathering), and I detected that she was supremely annoyed with me. In any case, our actual conversation in the waking world was very pleasant, and I found myself wondering why I don't call her more often. I think because I am under the impression that she is always very very busy. It was a welcome treat and put a salve on a day that up to that point had been a real irritation to me (I was awakened by an errant bill collector!).

My fresh haircut makes me feel streamlined. I'm in the mood to go out to eat something delicious.

No comments: