Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Whether you walk to the right → or the left ← there will be a voice behind you saying "This is the way; walk in it."

After weighing the matter for several days, and taking into consideration the opinions of other people at work, I made the decision to talk to the human resources wonk about her. I told him she wasn't working out, that we were losing money by keeping her on staff. I wanted to let enough time pass before taking this step. I wanted to make sure it wasn't premature, that I wasn't forgetting to factor in the arc of the learning curve, that I wasn't exacting punishment because she simply rubbed me the wrong way.

Her mistakes were bafoonish, in some cases. Her personality is a bit grating. But I have never been responsible for whether or not somebody is told they no longer need to report to work.

So I thought about the project, the level and output of work needed to keep it on target, and the ruthlessness it sometimes takes to ensure that there is a deliverable when all is said and done.

I also prayed, and as I did so felt that it was about more than letting someone go with her dignity intact. It was about releasing her to go where God really wanted her to be, and setting her free to work in an environment that is tailor-made for her, where she could excel and be comfortable.

So this morning she was let go. The HR wonk and I met with her (He did all of the talking--and I was grateful in this case that he did not make it personal, that he talked, instead, about the changing needs of the company, not her performance.) and gave her the option to leave then, or to finish out the day. She opted to stay around,and was supremely gracious.

After he left our company, I asked her if I could talk to her for a few moments, personally, business aside.

I believed that she was a Christian, so I took a chance and asked her if that was indeed true. She told me that it was. I took another chance and asked her if she would mind if I prayed for her--that God would lead her to a great opportunity, and for her to be encouraged at His providence--even in the midst of the unfortunate news she had just received. We had an understanding. She happily allowed me to do so.

So right in the conference room I did just that, very much feeling God's presence and pleasure.

Less than 30 minutes later, she sent me an instant message telling me that "God is Good!" and that she had just been offered a job, and would need to leave before the close of business afterall. She needed to go and fill out paperwork at the new place.

I was able to see that in making the right choice for my project and the company that I support, I was able to see the bigger picture for someone else as well. I don't know how much her faith was strengthened, but mine was. It was a gift to be able to make a good, but difficult choice, and see an immediate pay-off for everyone involved.

No comments: