Monday, July 21, 2003

Everyone lost three hours of work this morning because our system was handicapped. The new girl we hired to help with document formatting is not really worth the money we've paid her so far, since she's had to double back on her efforts due to some pretty substantive errors, and I feel overcome with job inertia. We have a pretty big deadline coming up so I need to shake it off fast.

Sarah and I have watched the two Harry Potter movies on dvd (the first one, last night, and the sequel, this evening after work). I've never read the books, so I'm sure the cinematic depictions don't do them justice, but I found the films charming enough. I can't figure out if the storyline is setting up an emerging love triangle between Harry, Ron, and Hermione... or if it's going to be a cut and dry Harry and Hermione thing. Frankly, I think J.K. Rowling, if she does have such a thing in the works, should do the unexpected and pair up her smart heroine with the easily frightened, but loyal Ron. It would be less obvious.

I am still reading "Unbearable Lightness." I'm in the home stretch ("The Grand March"), and I find myself disinterested in the whole Communist vs. Non Communist Kitsch discussion. Of course I will finish it. I'm anxious to get onto the schlock page-turner I checked out last week, Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend.

Speaking of books, I think including Alberta in the book club as I envisioned won't really be feasible. She will be going to Zambia (for work) for one month beginning in August. I don't think I'm being premature; I think I'm just calling a spade a spade. Additionally, I think big changes with work and my personal life will be coming round the bend too. This may not be the best time to try and organize something like that. I may do better to eventually join up with a more established group.

For now I think I'll put the kettle on for chamomile.

No comments: