Sunday, November 25, 2007

warmth

my married sister, left, hosted our holiday this year. my mother made several of the dishes and brought them with her, but Crystal, Caryl, and I made the green beans, the ham, and the candied-liquered yams.

I managed to relax (not hosting has its privileges) in spite of my looming deadlines. My sisters are such a comfort, such a haven for me. God, it's bliss being with them.

I was back home in Baltimore as of late morning yesterday and got down to editing the stacks that were waiting for me. Once back from Sarah's this evening, I set to work again. Here it is, 12:30 and I'm just calling it quits for the night.

Chinese takeout for the second night in a row--this is not good for the waistline--has me worried about my fitness goals. I can't do it all, but in spite of a full day's work to complete tomorrow, I will go to the gym. I keep telling myself that I can't sacrifice the self-care, but it's hard to make it a priority when I just want to get back to ground zero with my scheduled deliverables.

Anyway, life keeps happening all around. In spite of a pivotal, breakthrough conversation with her husband a few weeks ago, my sister still isn't sure that they're going to go the distance. We live in a society where marriage is so disposable. And yet, I don't know that toughing it out is always the best course of action. Something to be said for cutting your losses and not wasting 20 years.

Hard to know--what's a storm to weather? What's a storm to flee?

In the spirit of Scarlett O'hara, I have to admit. I can't think about this right now. I'll think about it tomorrow. Back to my book.

3 comments:

sarah said...

i LOVE that picture of you three beauties:).

you have to strike a balance for yourself, missy. no one else will do it for you. whether it feels like it or not, your own personal goals are more important than this project. i'm sorry, but it's a fact.

:)

Alexis said...

Great pic! :)

Kimberly said...

I do hope that your sis and her DH can come to a decision that is best for them. Currently, we have friends that are a middle of a divorce and family that is considering it (well, if you take into account one already has a b/f that they've introduced to family), definitely makes everyone assess where they are at in their relationships or what they want out of future ones.

You are so correct though, it's difficult to know which things are worth fighting for and which ones aren't worth the fight. I'll keep them in my thoughts, as well as yourself.