Thursday, March 22, 2007

I've been trying not to blog out of my anxiety, hence the brief, sporadic posts of late. Things are good...deadlines at work loom large, but with an all-hands-on-deck philosophy, our team is making it, together, as we are wont to do.

As for the dating realm, things have been rocky, but not in a way that is totally awful. I had an excellent first date a week ago tonight and a pretty stellar text message the next morning which did much to buoy my spirits. The gentleman really enjoyed himself.

And then? Days of not much. Then,on Wednesday morning a follow-up e-mail; then some more texting, and I found myself, well...shutting down toward this person. Even once outing number 2 was scheduled for this sunday afternoon, I started to talk myself out of liking him (I told two people today that maybe I wouldn't enjoy him half as much in broad daylight).

I don't like having the rhythms of my life upset too much. After years of being twisted up in in knots all for naught, over a man, I am extremely protective of my sanity. I hated that I was all wound up wondering if I was actually going to see this person again. Just before he got back in touch (about four days after the first date) I was getting ready to write the experience off as a fluke.

After talking at length with Sarah about this I can see that I'm trying to do that preemptive thing again. It's tricky for me; I'm a complete dating novice (not to mention generally intolerant of having to wait). Truthfully speaking, I was just too excited about this guy too fast, which did nothing for my perspective.

He actually waited a judicious beat before contacting me again. Something that I would completely respect and attribute to a wonderful sense of pacing under normal circumstances(if I hadn't lost my mind completely there for a while).

So, in an effort to keep it real and to keep my peace of mind in check, I'm moving back to the middle. Whatever happens I'm vowing to have a measured reaction to it.

No comments: