Saturday, November 18, 2006

V and I got together for breakfast (this is becoming our monthly tradition :)) at Jimmy's in Fells Point and had the best discussion about art and standards, and how one determines these standards. We talked about structural considerations and evocative qualities. It was all very thrilling. Jimmy's is pretty busy, so as soon as we were done we released our table (before we were out the door our table had been bussed and two new people had already been seated there)and walked over to Sound Garden. I almost bought two used DVDs but ultimately decided against the purchase (with V's help). I just paid a lot of bills so I don't have nearly as much leftover money as I normally do at the mid-month point.

After Sound Garden we walked over to the Daily Grind for a latte (V) and an Americano (me). We sat outside and chatted for a bit about the CNN article on happiness we had both recently encountered. I was interested to read that Harvard Psychologist Daniel Gilbert found that having children has a "small negative effect on happiness," and further that "Once you pass an income of $50,000, more money doesn't buy much more happiness."

Our last stop on the Fells Tour was Bluehouse (the location of my poetry reading this past summer). v had never been there and I had a hunch it was the kind of thing she would love. She did! We decided to get together next on November 30th--the day after her birthday--so we can celebrate.

Once back at my apartment, I freshened up a bit, blew my hair dry (washed it this morning and had just kind of let it do its own thing for several hours, so it required some assistance at that point), then went to GiGi for lunch (much to my chagrin, I had nothing with which to make a complete meal in the house).

At 3 I went over to Hopkins to participate in a scientific study (related loosely to brain function and visual perception). It was about an hour and a half total, and I got 15 bucks for my time. I took a cab there, but was feeling adventurous, so I walked all the way home (I was delighted to see that it was still daylight when I left the lab). Remembering that I still had nothing with which to make a meal at home, I stopped off at my neighborhood Market (Eddie's) and picked up a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cabernet, two packets of fresh shrimp, brussel sprouts, and fire roasted red peppers. My earnings from the experiment came in handy; I paid for my wares in cash and headed the last few blocks home.

First, I let the wine breathe. After doing up a few dishes from last night, I set about making a roasted red pepper, garlic, and scallion puree for the shrimp (sauteed over relatively high heat); I lightly salted the brussel sprouts and put them in the oven to roast; when the shrimp were done, I started some grits (salt and black pepper, a little half & half and mozarella thrown in for good measure); lastly I warmed some maple butter corn bread I made earlier in the week. It all came together so well.

Later tonight, Sarah will come to pick me up. We have Thanksgiving shopping to do tomorrow!

No comments: