Thursday, November 09, 2006

A little comedy of errors...

So I had this meeting with my advisor planned. We were going to meet at the City Cafe at 8. Keep that in mind while I digress, out of necessity, for just a moment.

When my sister visted me last Saturday we decided to set up a family plan through my cell phone provider. She'd been without a phone for a month, and it just seemed like an easy thing to remedy, so we got the ball rolling. Her phone arrived, at my address (the billing address) yesterday. But she couldn't come to get it yesterday, so that meant she'd have to come by tonight. I figured I could just have her meet me at the City Cafe for a brief handoff during my meeting, and that would be that.

I got to the cafe a few minutes before 8. My advisor called; he was running late. He asked if I wanted to wait for him or if I thought meeting at my place would be better. I don't know why, but even though I knew this would introduce a complication, I told him I'd see him at my place. I figured I'd have time to call my sister at work and tell her about the change of plans. No such luck. She clearly left at 8 on the dot.

And thus began a complicated, sit-com-esque chain of events. My advisor shows up to my apartment and we start talking, but I'm all distracted because of all the hullabaloo (not being able to reach my sister, feeling thrown off due to the changes). My mother calls right in the middle of our conversation (I had already called the restaurant and left a message for my sister there), worried that Crystal would somehow come to harm because of the snafu. I was worried too... but nothing like my mother who WOULD NOT GET OFF THE PHONE.

You have to imagine my advisor laughing during the conversation that went something like this:

"Okay, mommy..."
[my mother talking]
"Okay..."
[my mother still talking]
"Mom, I really have to get off the phone... I know, but I left a message... Okay..."
"Please go get my baby!" [this would be my mother]

So off the prof and I went. Once inside the restaurant, I saw my sister immediately. She was on the phone with my mother, who WOULD NOT GET OFF THE LINE (my sister brought a friend with her, and was using his phone at that point).

Anyway, I handed her the goods and went off to resume what was an incredibly heartening meeting with the literary genius. With minor, minor suggestions and issues raised on a handful of the pieces, he told me that I've done good work and that it should be sent out for publication. We also talked about the Independent Study and how we'll meet once more to go over that, but that really that's also in the can as far as he is concerned.

I have really labored over these poems and have interrogated all of the reading I've done with as much integrity as I could muster, and this conversation was the payoff. He's happy with it; I'm happy with it. Honestly, I feel like celebrating already.

No comments: