Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The things you learn...

I just returned from an outing with some people from the Tuesday night class and my advisor (I attended again this week because I wanted to be there for the conclusion of the Wallace Stevens discussion) and afterward, about four of us began a conversation that resumed at a neighborhood bar. It was fun and revealing. I hung back. I've never had an after class session with my advisor and others (in this case, all women), so I had to learn to negotiate the dynamic.

There was nothing unpleasant about it, but I sensed in myself that old thing that says "if there are other women here, I am the least interesting..." It happens in a variety of scenarios. In any case, one tidbit of the night. I learned that my advisor has played bass and guitar in rock bands. He just seemed like the type... I was in no way surprised.

I think it helps that I have been training myself not to shy away from scenarios in which I fear I have nothing to offer. It's all about perspective.

In other news, My smallish department at work today had a lot of fun dressing up as the president (my boss) and secret servicemen (me and my peers). The best part? Playing "Hail to the Chief" on a little boom box that we carried around whenever my boss had to go to the restroom.

Classic.

No comments: