Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Objective Correlative

"The only way of expressing emotion in the form of art is by finding an "objective correlative"; in other words, a set of objects, a situation, a chain of events which shall be the formula of that particular emotion; such that when the external facts, which must terminate in sensory experience, are given, the emotion is immediately evoked." --T. S. Eliot

I have been tasked with finding the objective correlative for several poems and I don't know if I can do it. I suddenly feel very discouraged. I don't think I can get these poems where they need to go.

I know one thing. I am sick. and tired. of the message I keep getting. I'm sick of putting a lid on the most primitive, basic parts of myself. I can't stuff those things in anymore. I think my art is locked up because I'm locked up. The writing is so... sublimated...it's boring. It's wearying. I can't get at what I want to say because like all my deepest longings, it's locked behind glass for some other time.

I'm going to bed.

No comments: