Friday, January 30, 2009

Melting

The wonderfully With It Devika Keral breezed into town last night to stay with me because she had an exam to sit for in Baltimore. Being somewhat vapid lately, I didn't realize it was Restuarant Week, but we managed to be seated with no problem at Sascha's and benefitted from the fixed price menu.

Last night after Devika retired, I decided to tackle my taxes. I e-filed a little too quickly and didn't catch one major mistake (and forgot to claim the 32 dollars of interest from my ING direct account), so I went in and added the new information, but I was still showing a refund from the state (if you live in Maryland, you know this is not likely unless you fall below the poverty line). Fortunately, the Feds and the state took the revised information, even thought I couldn't e-file again.

So, even though my fed return is probably right now, another amended State return means that i know owe the state (much more realistic), but the thing is so gnarled that I have to wait until the refund my error yielded hits my account, and then I have to mail it back to them, plus what I actually owe them.

to be on the safe side i'm having a turbotax rep review my federal return to make sure I don't have to send another amended return to them. gah.

I got to bed after 1 (close to 2?), but woke up to have a leisurely breakfast and conversation with my guest before she had to head off to take her test.

She happened to have enough time for a quick bite with me before heading back to DC, and that was that. It was completely effortless to be around her (as always), and even babygirl warmed up to her fairly quickly (the odd growl notwithstanding).

i'm anxious to do my FAFSA for next year now, but I think I need to heed the lesson of being too fast with things. I'll wait to make sure my Federal info is kosher before I proceed.

Yesterday afternoon, I had my second first class of the semester. I've already started reading Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy (our first book) and am looking forward to going back next week. a good sign.

No comments: