Saturday, September 29, 2007

Meandering


The Mt. Vernon Book Festival is this weekend. Last night after a humble meal of pan sauteed tofu with scallions and portabellas and a third of a baked sweet potato, I set off 5 or 6 blocks due south for the event's first night.

Decaf coffee in hand and the "Julien's Jazz Cafe" playlist I made a year and a half ago blaring in my ears, I was the city I love so much. My new favourite hat--a brown newsboy cap--placed to a sophisticated,but not cocky angle gave me an arty air.

I had Charlie "Yardbird" Parker on the brain. Have taken to listening to podcasts while I work and a new find is "NPR Jazz Profiles" narrated by Nancy Wilson. I listened to the two-parter on Bird yesterday and I fell a little in love with him. I have a lot of Parker on the iPod, but I didn't really know his story. He was my age when he died. As is often the case, right when he was on the brink of big changes and wanting to make peace with his past.

Dizzy Gillespie recounted his last conversation with Charlie. He implored his friend to save him. Dizzy told him "Yard, no one can save you. You have to save yourself."

I feel a timid little poem trying to gather the courage to make itself known.

No comments: