Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Lovely Stranger

Bookstore Cafe at approximately 7:45 p.m.

He walked in.

I was just chillin' mindin' my business with Sarah--the first frothy sips of my (skim)green tea latte made me smile on the inside,deep down. I wrote some preliminary notes for my upcoming class presentation. S was telling me the story of her new, duplicitous coworker.

I looked up just in time to see a dark haired guy with cream-milk skin and this amazing, intellectual energy walk in and assume a seat at a nearby wooden table.

"Stop the presses...."
Sarah smiled, even though my comment interrupted her flow of conversation. She'd noticed him too.

I've seen passably attractive men out and about before, but it isn't often that a stranger preoccupies me the way this dreamboat did.

In a spirit of happy conspiracy Sarah asked me to go to the counter to get a cup of water for her. I did so, careful to put myself right in his line of vision, should he look up. When he did, I mouthed "hello." He returned the lip-synched greeting, and I walked back to my seat, seriously debating an acceptable and witty conversation starter.

Eventually Sarah's friend and coworker (not Ms. Duplicity), with whom we had dinner plans, joined us. After pleasantries we got up to leave, and that was that...

Or so I thought.

On the way out of the store, S's friend decided she wanted to find a book. She walked off and I said to Sarah "I'm seriously considering going back there and telling that man how beautiful he is."

"So do it."

Possessed of an alien confidence, I strode back there, with full presence of mind and walked up to his table.

"Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt you, but I wanted to tell you this before I leave. You are so beautiful."

He looked up from his book, smiled, revealing a slight gap between his two front teeth that can only be described as dead sexy (not usually a fan of the gap, but the man was working it like a 9 to 5)...

"wow... {he waited a judicious beat}thank you..."

"you're welcome; good night."

And I walked away, leaving him to ponder that.

No comments: