Monday, May 31, 2004

Reacclimating

I celebrated my Memorial Day Weekend at Sarah's place by way of some serious downtime and DVD-watching, natch. Finally saw "In the Cut." It amazes me that sexually-charged, or sexually-explicit material (to be more precise) is what is considered "cutting edge." It isn't that I considered the sex in this film to be superfluous or even gratuitous, but I've noticed that pushing the envelope on sexual topics is most often linked with a sense of "danger" and "art" in literature and film.

We also checked out "Shattered Glass" the story of Stephen Glass of former New Republic fame. This story stressed me out because it details a brief period in the life of someone so undisputably talented who resorted to an ethics-less journalism career (a brief one, obviously, once he was found out)so he could received approval. Clearly a sociopath.

After a two-day stint away from my apartment, I came back home to retrieve a chair and a second free bookshelf courtesy of Karen and one of her former roommates from my storage unit. The elevator in my building was broken (again) on saturday when Jen brought the things by, so I had to have the items placed there until I could drag them up to the 4th floor via levetation device [today]. After resecuring the faux wood backing to the shelves, I placed my books that were still sitting in the foyer onto them. That ratcheted up my sense of order about 10 notches.

The chair is a dusty rose colour, in fairly good condition, with rocking capability. Once I get a shabby chic throw cover for it, I think it will bring some much-needed charm to the boudoir. I've always wanted a reading chair in my room.

Now that I'm mostly resettled in my city nook, have showered, put clothes away, and have a sausage casserole in the oven, I feel perfect. Nursing coffee from the rich, midnight blue, ceramic mug I bought in Maine 3 years ago makes it all complete.

Oh, and as it turns out, I may have been being a bit too harsh in my assessment of Friday night. G mentioned that he's already gotten several compliments on the hat....

No comments: