Thursday, May 27, 2004

Post Haste

I finally sent off the letter I wrote a few weeks ago addressing the charges my old leasing company brought against me for damages to my former apartment. The hold up was due to two things: 1) I kept forgetting to bring in the forms I wanted to photocopy to accompany the letter, and to a less significant degree, 2) I did not remember the President and COO's name, and wanted to address my letter to him for maximum effect.

I decided that I would mail the letter today come hell or high water, but I just happened to receive an apartment satisfaction survey from my old leasing company in the mail yesterday that had this individual's name on it, so I completed my communique this morning, and dropped the three letters (I cc'ed the Property Manager of my former building and the Corporate office in MD)in the mailbox in time for the 9:45 pickup.

Speaking of mailing things... I also mailed Gordon's birthday card to him yesterday. He'll probably get it today. I decided not to mention setting up a time to give him his birthday present since I don't yet have it in hand. And, because when I asked him if he wanted to do something for his birthday, he was unsure about his own availability (or perhaps he was just being noncomittal due to disinterest), so I don't want to be pushy about getting on his calendar if he isn't up for any type of hang time on that day.

I have to remember that not everyone is as excited about birthdays as I am. I also have to remember that he may also just not want to spend time with me on that day. I know that I like to reserve my actual birthday for people who are very special to me... and I wouldn't want to hang out with someone who was a mere acquaintance, or with whom I didn't have a nearly perfect sense of simpatico.

Of course, If I were having a party, then it would make sense to have a variety of relationship types represented... I think you know what I mean. Anyway, when I asked him point blank a couple of weeks ago if he wanted to do something (after learning that he had no plans), he said he would let me know if he had a gathering a week or so after his actual birthday, but that he didn't envision anything happening on the day itself.

Oddly, this did not give me cause for concern at the time, but perhaps it should have been a big hint.

No comments: