Saturday, September 20, 2003

G picked me up at about 5 till seven. I was delighted to see that he had changed into a crisp blue oxford and khakis for our outing. I changed out of my lumberjack wear from this morning, and wore, instead, a crisp white button down with a coral camisole and Jeans. The only thing non feminine about my casual outfit was the hiking boots I put on in case of flooding.

I loved the moment of acknowledgment we shared taking each other in wearing slightly fancier clothes. He drove us into the part of the city affectionately known as "Greek town" where his studio is, but the building was without power. We made tentative plans to go back on Sunday morning.

We made our way back to my part of town, and proceeded to visit several local cafes and pubs, not enjoying more than one drink in any one place. I treated him to the first round, then he paid for the cab ride to the tapas place and bought the food and drinks there. When we left to check out the place next door (Club Charles), I realized my shoe was untied, so he bent down to lace them up for me.

At the next place, we each ordered manhattans (told him I'd never been horseback riding and he said he would arrange with his mom for me to go), and then headed to the Brewer's Art for Stoli shots, and talked about marriage and celibacy--the priesthood, and the sacrifice it entails--vs. marriage and the sacfrifice it entails.

At one point he looked down at me, and asked me if I was standing on lower ground than he, because he felt that he was suddenly even taller than me (than usual). I laughed at him and said "no, this is about right." I don't know when this occurred, but at some point, I took his fingers in mine, and we just held on to each other for a moment.

I told him that in spite of everything, I liked him when he smoked, because I'd always found the vice to be so cool-looking. So he sent me to bum a cigarette and a light for him off some other bar patron. Maybe it wasn't such a great thing to encourage him to do (he's trying to quit), but I loved that he smoked for me.

After that we headed back to my apartment where we joined Bina, Jamie [her out of town guest], and Michael for one more drink and some pretty entertaining conversation, that ran the gamut from stalkers to Jamie's life on a submarine (Navy). I sat close to him, wanting to feel our bodies connecting in whatever way possible.

I couldn't help it, at one point when we'd first arrived back at my place I took his whole hand in mine, and he squeezed when I did that.

I feel, if I'm being honest, that several of our outings might classify as dates, but tonight felt like one to me.

No comments: