Wednesday, September 03, 2008

thirty five years

so, i write to you from what is almost the other side of 34 years of existence. the day i was born "Let's Get It On" was No. 1 on the Billboard charts. this fact confirms something fundamental about my life, though i can't exactly say what. all i can tell you is that i've come out on the other side of some stuff, am still wading through some other stuff, and am trying to embrace stuff other than that.

here's what i know: i've found more strength when i've embraced my femininity than when i've tried to wear a cloak of masculine detachment; i'm happiest when i'm not hiding my light under a bushel; i like to take care of people i love; my right side is my good side; i still love words so much--they are still my doorway into the heart of things; and having a problematic relationship with my dad robbed me of some things. Forgiving him before he died healed some things.

i like being in that place between buzzed and drunk and more than anything, i want to collapse into the right man's arms...

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Happy Birthday!! ;)

Becca said...

You are so cool.