Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Best Weekend Ever!


As the photopost from Monday suggests, my sisters and I took in the annual Native American Pow-Wow in Patterson Park on Saturday. We'd never been able to go in previous years for one reason or another--usually because both of the girls would be heading back to school after their summers off by the third weekend in August. This event was the lynchpin of Caryl's birthday as it was the first of the weekend festivities to be planned.


Serendipitously, I found out about a concert on Friday the 22nd at the Recher Theatre in Towson. Rock/blues singer Danielia Cotton was headlining and Theresa Andersonn and Blue King Brown were opening. I'd recently shared some of Cotton's songs with Caryl because I think they have a similar vibe (Caryl's a singer), so it was a very happy stroke of luck. Little did we know that we'd all end up leaving wowed by Andersonn, Swedish-American singer from New Orleans who had more soul and the true spirit of Rhythm & Blues in her little finger than most people have in their whole bodies. I bought her CD and I don't buy CDs anymore...

Saturday night, because I wasn't sure I could find live bellydancing (another passion of my sister's), we took in Bare at the Baltimore Theatre project. A musical about some Catholic teens with various kinds of angst. The singing was pretty sub-par, but it was still entertaining.

Sunday was lunch at Mari Luna--the Best Mexican restaurant in Baltimore--in Sarah's neighborhood. I'd gotten Caryl a cheesecake the day before from Whole Foods, so we all came back to my place for an impromptu b-day party. May I recommend the game 'Apples to Apples'? It's so much fun! Rounding out our fete was Catchka, whom Caryl adores. There's a highly-embarrassing video of one of our activities, but I'll save that for a day when the blogging well runs dry.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Live belly-dancing every Saturday evening at The Desert Cafe in Mt. Washington Village.

Awkward when there with only your best friend and her mom; awesome when you're there with a full restaurant of appreciative patrons.

...I think it's Saturday evening. Now I'm second-guessing myself.