Saturday, August 25, 2007

On the Scene

What I love about working out at my gym (aside from its proximity to my j-o-b) is that it has a friendly staff who beam at you when you bop in at 6 am (when the doors open), and how congenial all the squash players that flock there are. The typical squash player at MMAC is a middle-aged, white, businessman who needs to get in his raquet fix before he hits the grind. They line up, along with me, outside the doors at 5:57, coffee in one hand, suit for postworkout on a drycleaner hanger in the other--plotting their matches for the week. I like these men. I like that they hold doors for me (and each other) and smile. I like that "you're-in-the-gym-first-thing-in-the-morning-just-like-me nod" that they bless me with.

And for the gentlemen who are there rocking the elliptical or the spin bike (depending on the day) like me, I get the smiles and waves that say "we're all in it together." There's one man who says "have a good one" when I head off to lift after the elliptical dismount. Our smiles of acknowledgment are so sincere; I don't even know when these little exchanges began, but this man has such a kind face, I look forward to catching his eye just so I can say hi.

I want to make sure I'm giving you an accurate picture--this is not a meat market. This isn't about the old "once over." Any of these men could be my father (or grandfather). We're seeing each other at our sweaty bests, though, and that creates a feeling of fraternity.

A couple of the women that I see in the locker room or in spin are complete gems. They're all about the validation. One of them said to me the other day "Good morning, Skinny!" And on another occasion, I heard, as I was getting dressed: "All your clothes are too big!"

This fitness center draws all kinds--young and old; the wealthy and the decidedly middle class; men and women (and children--there's a kids care room where parents can deposit their little ones while they take classes or use the machines). The diverse class offerings are part of the monthly membership (except for advanced pilates), and you don't even have to be a member to do water aerobics (there's just a 5-dollar drop in fee).

If you're in the City of Charm and are looking for a place to tone up or slim down, definitely consider it.

No comments: