Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chaste Kisses

I had a dream last night about a quick succession of platonic (but heartfelt) kisses. I was on the receiving end. They were kisses from a former friend. There were three of them. All in the left corner of my mouth. I understood his intentions through the gesture. I knew he was saying
I'm sorry I didn't understand...

Judas's kiss was a kiss of betrayal. He was Christ's friend. In the book of Proverbs we read that wounds from a friend can be trusted, but that an enemy multiplies kisses.

These kisses are the only vestige I have of the dream. I remember nothing of the dramatic arc (there was a plot line of some sort), but I recall the feeling of sweetness, of fraternal love. These little conveyors, soft ministrations of repaired damage.

It all means that I'm at peace, I suppose, with everything. I seem to have this realization a million different ways several times a month, and each time it's utterly surprising. How resilient the psyche, how it can snap back from pervasive damage, intact.

No comments: