Monday, October 03, 2005

I've recently decided upon my wintertime reading project. I am going to read the canon of Jane Austen's work, beginning with Pride and Prejudice, which I purchased last night. I've never read any of the books before, and with the exception of "Emma" (and "Clueless"), I've never watched any of the film adaptions. I guess you can count "The Diary of Bridget Jones," since it is based on P&P, but still...

The weekend was characterized by emotional upheaval and busy-ness. I got into bed at about 3:00 a.m. on Saturday morning (the drive back from Philadelphia was lengthened by about 2 hours because of late night traffic). I woke up at 6:45 for Race for the Cure, and all things considered, I was remarkably clearheaded, and my energy was up for the 5k walk. Afterward,
E and I went to the Broadway Diner in Highlandtown, where several other racers were also gathered. Clearly, everyone had the same idea.

(On Friday evening, I had a doozy of an existential crisis. I did not expect it, but I crumbled thinking about Saturday, what was to come...)

Once back home, I slept, albeit a very shallow sleep. At about 2:45 Sarah and I rejoined to hit the mall. I stocked up on the new Bath & Body Works Brown Sugar and Fig fragrance (in body wash, lotion, and spray perfume), and got some hand soaps and pumpkin lotion, too. After that I went to the Naturalizer shoe store to pick up some vintage style granny boots that I'd spied on Thursday when E and I went there prior to the Os game...

I have always loved the school marmish granny boots--loved the severe bun, high collared blouses, and long skirts with ruffles such marms wore. Of course, I wore mine (yesterday) with flare-legged jeans and a black sweater, but it thrills me that I finally have an approximation of these classic shoes. I got them in brown, because brown is the new black. I have that on very good authority.

(I tried bubble tea for the first time. Not quite sure how I feel about it.)

I slept like the dead on Saturday night (stayed over at Sarah's place), but had a disturbing dream in which I lived back in the highrise apartment I occupied when I first moved back to Baltimore 3 years ago.

On Sunday there was the play (a musical) which was quite good, but was difficult for Sarah, because of its theme of recent heartbreak. I thought it would have more of a comedic bent. Comedy and tragedy are only a hair apart, but it's a definitive hair, I suppose.

No comments: