Monday, March 24, 2008

The Process of Elimination

Sometimes the perfect solution, the perfect prospect asserts itself right away. More often, though, it makes itself known after you exhaust a few dead ends and go on a few wild goose chases.

The second interview my sister went on last week yielded only clarity. Not the right opportunity. Another meeting today ended similarly. On the heels of these disappointments, new leads spring up. Case in point--she got a call today for something on Wednesday. It substantiates the fact that one must hustle even for the serendipitous event.

One of the apartment leads (the only real one I had to date) fell through. It came down to a technicality. I wasn't disappointed, though, because I'd started to feel just a day or so ago that this place was absolutely not going to be big enough no matter how I sliced it. Sarah commented based on the floor plan she saw weeks ago that it wouldn't work, but other features and ammenities made it hard to discount.

There's another long shot looming, but really what it amounts to is this: I have to keep searching.

Last Friday night, E spirited me to some far flung mall because I wanted to check out the chain that carries Sarah Jessica Parker's label, Bitten. SJP's philosophy, as I understand it, is that fashion should be accessible to women of a variety of sizes and shapes at affordable prices. For that reason, no single item is more than 20.00.

I have never seen such poor quality in all of my life. No wonder it's affordable. It's complete shite. My heart bleeds for the poor people who likely toiled to produce these articles. I don't recall ever feeling like I was looking at a blatant insult to clothing--not even when I've seen those tent-sized tweety bird & sylvester t-shirts some manufacturer seems to think that plus-sized women want to wear, or worse, that that's all they deserve.

I know I should should have been skeptical. The old adage about something for nothing and not being able to get it and all that... but because SJP's name is attached to it, I thought her label would be an exception to the conventional wisdom. Honestly, she should just insist on better quality and charge accordingly. It's still honourable that a line would cater to such a range in sizes, even if the clothes aren't cheap.

To be clear, Bitten is not sizist. The size 2 clothes are crap. The size 12s are crap. I mean like "fall apart if you wash it in the machine, crap." I ended up buying two pair of underwear--the only items I could sanction.

So now I know. Another possibility eliminated. On to the next!

No comments: