Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Of Celebratory Meals and Tremendously Good Friends

I have the best friends in the world. I firmly believe that. I'm at the point in my life where my inner circle of confidantes is completely devoid of toxicity, smallness of spirit, backhanded, ironic "support," or any of that other junk. All of my girlfriends are the kind of people I've always wanted to know and be friends with.

Tonight E and I enjoyed a celebratory dinner at the City Cafe at her initiative, because "you deserve to be celebrated, honey..." As is pretty typical for us we caught up over fried calamari (to start) and covered everything from her family to the Spitzer Scandal, barely stopping to breathe.

I love breaking bread with the girls, no matter the reason, but it does feel wonderful when someone you care about wants to acknowledge the good things in your life by way of sharing delicious food. E, being self-possessed, on the move, career-wise, and knowing her own mind about some pretty important issues, was vibrant. That was so good to experience.

This all makes me reflect on Sarah, Catchka, Deb, V, R, and B--to name a few more--all of whom consistently demonstrate generous reactions to my good fortune and hearty support when I need it. I don't take it lightly. I'm so grateful for all of you...

Last night I had the good fortune to attend a panel discussion at the university. I guess it made the fact that I'll be going there more real (and broke up the usual monotony of a Monday night), gave me a sense of the "vibe," etc. It may be preliminary to say this, but I conjecture that I'll feel more connected to this campus and this program than I did to JHU. It's got more of a homegrown, grassroots feeling about it. At the same time, I think it will more closely fulfill my expectations of a graduate program,on the whole. Hopkins took up my time and I certainly, absolutely benefitted from invigorating literary discourse as part of that study, but I think this is going to get under my skin in a different way.

Before I figure all of that out, though, my sister and I need to find a place to live...

No comments: