Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Mardi = Tuesday Gras = Fat

As a Protestant of a certain ilk I've never done the whole Lent thing. But I've taken a cue from my Catholic and more orthodox Protestant brethren.

Today coworkers brought in Scottish shortbread and "fake fasnachts." Fasnachts are a Pennsylvania thing, apparently. Fatty donuts to eat on Fat Tuesday to serve as a memory of excess during the 40 days of scarcity and sacrifice that are Lent (an observation of Christ's temptation in the desert).

This year the coworker of the Scottish short bread and I are giving up complaining about our project.

Anyway, I gorged myself on the biscuits, the donuts, all manner of dark chocolate, pot roast for dinner, and red wine, too.... oh, yes, and a few final project-related complaints.

I did not go to the gym this morning because I've been trying to give myself a break this week. I am going tomorrow as an outward expression of a return to discipline. Today I was el gordo, tomorrow, I'll be Not el gordo. Back to grapefruit, fat free yogurt, healthy water consumption and all that.

I'm no purist. Lent is still not "native" to my commemoration of the Christian calendar, so there's no rigid ban on chocolate, alcohol, or anything else in my household, but I do think there is some value to be had in contemplating real sacrifice. The spirit, not the letter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You won't be La Gorda for long, you're totally La Flaca!