Sunday, April 15, 2007

Domesticity

Hung out with E at Sammy's last night--didn't get home till after midnight. It was raining. I woke up this morning to the sound of a much more agressive downpour slapping against my window panes. Weird dreams pervaded.

Sarah's phone call woke me up for good (I left my bed for the living room couch at about 8, but fell asleep again to the backdrop of the Lucille Ball remake of "Auntie Mame"). We chatted for a bit, then I realized I was hungry...

A bit later the Sarah-one called back and we went out for a late morning jaunt to an Italian bakery in Fells Point, then over to a cafe for coffee (but where they would not let us eat our danishes from the bakery--for health code reasons). A quick trip over to Whole Foods later, I was back at home (Sarah and I decided against going to see a matinee of "Blades of Glory").

Sunday is always a mixed bag of deflation and preparation. No matter how old I get, Sunday afternoon is always a little glum--too filled with the understanding that I have to prepare for it all to start again. So, to try to get arms around the week ahead, I swept, swiffered, dusted, and polished. I made the bed, hung up some clothes, popped in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to serve as background noise, made myself a cup of decaf vanilla chai, and then either called or e-mailed institutions of higher learning to request PhD program catalogues.

My real next/first step where all of that is concerned is taking the GREs, but I thought that having some concrete books and materials sent to me would motivate me to actually start that process and just make it feel more real. My goal is to start somewhere by the fall of 2008. I actually have to get a move on if I'm going to be ready on time. If I get into any of these programs it will mean a move away from MD and my beloved Baltimore.

Now I'm catching up on some reading. It's been a pretty nice weekend. Tomorow I start back at the gym. I've been on hiatus for several days because of some obligations I had in the evenings last week. I really need to get into a solid rhythm on that front.

No comments: