Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Moving Sale!

So, I put up signs throughout my building advertising things I do not intend to take with me into the next phase of my life. A couple of mugs, some glassware, bookshelves that are still functional but not aesthetically pleasing, a swiffer mop with a nearly-full box of swiffer pads. The list goes on. As I mentioned in the last post, I unloaded the couches (I've already picked out new furniture!) last week. I don't feel nearly as nostalgic about them as I thought I would.

They were the first pieces of brand new furniture I purchased for the first apartment I lived in completely alone. And there are a couple of other reasons those couches are memorable...

At this point, all my books, cds, china cabinet contents, and purses/totebags are packed. I've taken a lot of things off the walls and I've given a bag of stuff to Goodwill. I'm far from done throwing things out. I love moving for this reason: it brings stunning clarity to me about what possessions it's time to unload. It's amazing, really. Every time I'm packing up, I find things that I can't believe I didn't throw out the last time!

It's a relief to be the opposite of my mother in this way. I have never had a problem letting material things go. This is not to say that I'm not sentimental about a few items, but eventually I come to the conclusion that my time with stuff is done. I'm able to realize that what it represents can't ever be changed. That helps a lot.

I'm also giving myself permission to outgrow my possessions without guilt. I want to keep evolving.

On a separate, but related note: My new address means I will have lived on two of the most important streets in central Baltimore. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll go for number three!

1 comment:

sarah said...

that's funny - i just realized i've lived on all 3 - and all before the age of 30. someone give me a medal!

;)