Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lost in Electroland

Had a night out on the town with two coworker friends last night. We hit up XS for dinner then went to see "Lost In Electroland" at the Baltimore Theatre Project. Funny. The Scot was there--The Scot being the gentleman I had one very nice date with at this time last year. This play was produced, cooperatively, by the BTP and the Towson MFA in Experimental Theatre program. The Scot graduated from there as a playwright. This was not his play, but he helped out with production.

Quick wave. A smile. Nothing more. The fact that I didn't really feel the need to have a conversation with him, coupled with the fact that I started to feel like I was coming down with something halfway through the production, meant I left immediately after the lights came up.

Sometimes you have one really great date with someone and that's it. Because I met him after I met Mr. Close Encounters, I wasn't really invested anyway.

Sometimes I worry that I'm completely dried up. One of my friends mentioned last night how she sees couples do cute things and it's heart-melting (or something like that). I do not have this experience. I don't begrudge apparent affection between people. I simply don't notice it. And if I do, it certainly doesn't melt my heart. I just think "Wow, wonder what one or both of them is sacrificing to perpetuate that illusion."

I've heard enough conversations between married people and long-term daters to know that someone, one of them, at least, is not actually happy.

Anyway, things are moving along.

The couches? Out! Now I just need to score some packing tape and the games can begin.

No comments: