Sunday, July 22, 2007

Key to the City

for two days this little gem to the left bought me countless rides on the CTA and the "L" as I traversed the downtown area and surrounding outliers in search of the perfect Chicago hot dog, the best authentic deep dish pizza, and overpriced (and delicious) cocktails at the top of "Big John" (the Hancock building). I saw "the Chi" from land (mini tour bus), Lake Michigan (boat tour), public transportation (see photo), and from above (sky scrapers galore). thanks to Sarah's and Amy's collective willingness and ability to read a map, by God, we covered some major ground in that town.

It is such a tremendously friendly place! I've never cared much for the thought of the midwest (it, as a region, just does not interest me), but Chicago is bringing a lot to the table. I'd go back for another visit and hit up some jazz spots or something (we just couldn't fit that in with everything else!). On Saturday, we took in a Second City matinee (the company where most SNL players and other famous comedians get their start). Hilarious!

The best thing from this time? One of our tours took us very near (it was not on the main drag of our tour, but a street or so over) where the St. Valentine's Day Massacre (Al Capone) took place. It was the one thing I really wanted to hear about! To commemorate, Sarah bought me a shot glass with reduxes of headlines about the gangster. I talked myself out of buying a flask with scarface's likeness on it. What on earth would I have actually done with that? If I'd had money to burn, I might have been able to justify it, but it seemed better to enjoy the idea but leave the actual souvenir at the store.

No comments: