Sunday, October 26, 2008

close encounters in my pajamas

Crystal and i hosted a game night at our place this evening. about half of our invitees ended up canceling, but our small group still deserved the best hostessing we could provide, so we planned to go to the store for some last minute stuff...

we decided to take babygirl with us. there was no specific plan. after a morning of tidying up, puttering about, and watching Gilmore Girls, I decided it was time to head out. Once outside, we decided to walk up St. Paul and not cross immediately over to Charles. We took some time to discuss it before Settling on our route.

Before leaving, Crystal asked "aren't you going to change your pants?"

I was wearing hot pink, flannel pj bottoms with coffee cups and saucers all over them. On top, I had on a jersey grey long johns top and a bright red t-shirt over it. My jacket? tan corduroy. On my head? a slate grey bandana. In other words, I was not of a mind to put my best foot forward. Obviously, I didn't expect to need to care about my appearance.

There he was. On the corner of St. Paul and Read. I saw him a full block ahead and waved. It took him a second, but he saw me and waved back. He headed over to us.

Yesterday, we made plans via e-mail to get together on Wednesday. He couldn't make game night because of work...

When he got to where we were standing, I looked down at my pants and up at him and shrugged. I didn't look great but I didn't care.

Earlier this week, my hhg told me to invite him into what I want from him. I know that running into him today could be chalked up to probability. we live in the same neighborhood. though i've gone entire years never runnng into him, eventually, because of the few blocks that separate us, I did. I know that.

But I've also noticed that I run into him when something in me summons him up. When I pray to be open to whatever wants to happen...

No comments: