Saturday, June 14, 2008

Real Neighborhly Like

After a dinner out with the girls, C,V, and I came back here so V could see our new place. Shortly after we arrived at the apartment, there was an insistent knock on my door. I opened it to find my next door neighbor. She was bearing a tray of pecan tarts and homemade vegetable pancakes. She implied with gestures and gifts (she spoke little english) that these were a welcome, of sorts. We thanked her, told her our names (which I don't think she understood), and she told us hers (which we did not understand, either).

For at least 10 minutes we sat pondering this overture. Do people still bring their neighbors gifts? Does the human spirit still have enough triumph in it that, a language barrier aside, some are still willing to knock on their neighbors' doors with openness of heart? We wondered. And were humbled. C and I have noticed that this sweet lady likes plants (if her balcony is anything to go by). We're going to pick out a lovely, summery one for her.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Oh that makes me so happy!! Yay for neighbors!